Ever since we found out that we are having a girl, I have been hooked on making these adorable little burp cloths. Super soft and absorbent on one side and just as cute as can be on the other.
To make 8 burp cloths you will need
- 1 1/4 yard cotton flannel
- 1 yard of cotton quilt fabric
- if mixing up the fabrics just make sure you do so in quarter yard increments.
- at the end you will have enough fabric for other projects like bibs
- printable pattern here
1. Begin by washing and drying your fabric. This is especially necessary with the flannel as it will shrink significantly. I admit – I don’t always take the time to pre-wash the quilt fabrics since I haven’t had much issue with them shrinking.
2. Put your fabric RIGHT SIDES together and pin the pattern to the top of it.
3. Cut around the pattern. Remove from fabric and place a few pins in the cut pieces to keep the together as you sew.
4. Sew around the edge leaving a 1/4″ seam allowance. Be sure to leave a 3″ opening on one side so that you can turn the whole thing.
5. Turn your project out so the correct sides are now facing out. Use your finger to push the seam out to the very edge. If you are very picky – before turning out you can clip around the edges. I don’t have that kind of attention span.
6. Give a quick iron – this is usually a step I would skip but it actually makes the next step go by much quicker.
7. Top stitch around the edge, closing up the whole, leaving a 1/4″ seam allowance.